“Could you just…?”
“I really need your help”
Or the worst one… “I’m so upset, I don’t know where to turn.”
Yowser! You surely don’t need this! You already have so much to do you could spontaneously combust trying to be in 37 places at once… and you’re already late!
“A true friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be anywhere else.” ~ Len Wein
But that’s what friends do, right?
We drop everything we can to help out.
I’ve been thinking about friends a lot lately. And oh boy, have ours mucked up our plans! Oh yes, they’ve scuppered some really key life choices Mark and I had made from 2013 through to about well, forever.
I guess it probably started way back at school. I was the super quiet kid who found lunchtime games a trial and parties a hideous nightmare. So much busy chatter when I could have been at home reading or scrummaging in the garden watching the wildlife. But somehow, I was popular enough to be invited to everything and voted in as Captain for too many things.
But even though I went along, I didn’t join in. I never said when something was wrong. I didn’t share my worries. The sidelines were my favorite place.
And then Mark bounced into my life and he was pretty similar, only way hairier and sillier. We started traveling and moving house lots because we loved the excitement. Such fun!
But friends, they didn’t feature so much because well, we weren’t anywhere long enough to do what friends do. And in truth, we had some power lifting to do in that whole getting up close and involved with people.
“Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” ~ Helen Keller
Until now. Yep, the plan was to keep doing what we’d been doing: traveling and moving, minimal stuff and no ties.
And then this amazing, motley bunch of unconnected people somehow appeared in our lives. People we now can’t bear the idea of being too far away from. People who between them make everything okay, no matter what happens.
And that’s what they say of us too.
What’s most crazy is that we’re none of us like each other in any way – we couldn’t be more different in what we do, how we live, what we believe, even what we eat.
“A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down.” ~ Arnold H. Glasow
And now I’m intrigued by, and totally in love with, that invisible bond friends have.
The one that makes you want to drop everything and help. The one that makes you wish with your whole heart that you were an honest-to-goodness wizard when one of them is in trouble. And the one that tells you they need you before they call.
“A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
What makes friendship so special?
Let’s see… just about everything.
- You’re never alone . Wherever you are, whatever you’ve done friends are always right behind you.
- You’re always loved. Faults, failures and falling on your face, friends still love you and will pull you straight back up.
- You’re forever connected. However long your history together, friends have shared enough to understand and to care deeply about you.
- You’re unquestionably beautiful. However ragged you feel, however awful you look 😊 friends only see the beautiful you inside that was worth all the effort of friendship.
- You’re only a call away from help. When life goes very wobbly, friends are the scotch tape that stops you falling apart.
- You’re going through life together. Okay days, bad days, horrible days, friends are the sunshine that keep you keeping on.
- You’re going to be okay, no matter what. That’s right, whatever life throws your way, friends will hold your hand until the rain stops.
So here we are, making entirely new plans to stay in one place because friends really are too precious to leave behind.
Thank you so much, guys!